While Queenstown is world-renowned for its adventure activities, many flock to this little gem in the South to appreciate nature’s beauty and to have an epic relaxing and rejuvenating holiday. It truly offers something for every kind of adventurer.
Here are our top picks to help you discover the relaxing side of New Zealand’s adventure capital:
- Queenstown Cruise – New Zealand’s Southern Lakes region is home to some of the most beautiful waterways – such as Lake Wakatipu. Enjoy a relaxing cruise amidst the spectacular scenery of The Remarkables mountain range and the township of Glenorchy.
- Wine Tours – Queenstown is home to some of the world’s best Pinot Noir, so if you’re a wine lover, make sure you don’t miss out on a wine tour. There are many operators offering a variety of tour styles – with a luxury vehicle, on a bike or even a helicopter tour. Visit Queenstown’s wine cave or head to the nearby wineries in Arrowtown and Gibbston.
- Onsen Hot Pools – Soak under the sky while looking out to the beautiful Overshot Canyon. This is Queenstown’s only dedicated hot pool complex located at the bottom of Coronet Peak Ski Field. Enjoy a tranquil and peaceful break in your own cedar-enclosed room with a private spring-fed hot pool and panoramic views.
- Biking – Slow down the pace with a cycling activity. Queenstown has several track and trails for all fitness levels. You can go on guided cycle tours that explore gentle trails or just have your own self-guided adventure. Some cycling tracks start in the town centre and are easy to access. The 122 km Queenstown Trail is a network of trains that go through the most picturesque locations such as Lake Hayes, Lake Wakatipu and more.
- Hiking – Have a deeper appreciation of the beauty of Queenstown by taking a leisurely stroll on some of the walking tracks and trails in the region. Hundreds of kilometres of trails actually crisscross around the region. Lakeside Trail, Ben Lomond and Queenstown Hill are easy yet rewarding trails.
- Scenic Flights – There are three ways to explore breathtaking Queenstown from the air – via a heli flight, a fixed-wing airplane or a hot air balloon. Choose to charter a flight that would fly you through the grandeur of the Alps, over rainforests or touchdown on a glacier. You can head to Milford Sound by plane or simply marvel at the beauty of Queenstown from 6,000ft above as the sun sets.