Our commitment to environmental friendly practice includes:
- A mammal viewing permit issued by the New Zealand Department of Conservation to ensure the protection of all mammal life in Milford Sound. Not all operators have this permit
- New Zealand coastal permits are issued for all vessels. This ensures not only safe operating practices, but that all vessels operate below certain noise levels and that all emissions are closely monitored
- Our vessels are powered by efficient engines ensuring less diesel is consumed reducing our carbon foot print
- We practice a zero tolerance of discharges into the fiord
- No detergents are used when washing vessels to protect the fiord from pollutants
- Japanese Obento boxes, Thali Indian and Gourmet Picnic Lunches are all prepared in reusable packs
- Anti-waste packaging purchasing decisions are mandatory across the business thereby reducing the amount of waste being removed from Milford Sound resulting in the reduction of fuel required to remove waste
- Our brochures are printed in New Zealand using environmentally friendly paper and vegetable-based, mineral-oil free inks
Southern Discoveries is a Qualmark Gold endorsed visitor activity. Qualmark is New Zealand tourism’s official mark of quality. By carrying the Qualmark Gold logo, we’ve been independently assessed as a professional and trustworthy tourism activity.
A portion of every Milford Sound trip we sell goes directly to the Department of Conservation to support their conservation work.
TOURISM SUSTAINABILITY COMMITMENT
Southern Discoveries is a member of the Tourism Sustainability Commitment, an industry-led pledge with the vision of leading the world in sustainable tourism.