Cruising with Southern Discoveries is the best way to experience more of Milford Sound on top of the water, but why stop there? Upgrade your cruise to complete your day with a visit to our amazing, exclusively-operated, underwater observatory.
Hidden under the surface of Harrison Cove in the middle of Piopiotahi Marine Reserve is a unique and beautiful environment – there’s nowhere else in the world quite like it. Thanks to the deep-water emergence phenomenon, Milford Sound is home to species such as black coral which are usually only found at depths of more than 500 metres.
Our Milford Sound Underwater Observatory allows you to experience this amazing world beneath the surface. You’ll descend 64 steps (10 metres) underwater into a large, fully air-conditioned viewing area where windows with excellent clarity open your eyes to this underwater haven. Unlike an aquarium, the fish are free to come and go; it’s the people who are contained.
Why choose the Underwater Observatory?
- A unique opportunity to visit New Zealand’s only floating underwater observatory, accessible only by boat
- Descend by spiral staircase to 10 metres beneath the water’s surface
- See rare black coral growing in its natural habitat and meet colourful sea creatures
- Relax as our guide tells you more about the unique history, geology and wildlife of Milford Sound
- Learn about the story of Milford Sound and our conservation efforts with entertaining videos and easy to read information panels
Underwater Observatory Upgrade
Prices below are for the all inclusive Cruise and Underwater Observatory package which includes cruise, underwater observatory and freshly-prepared picnic lunch.