Cruising with Southern Discoveries is the best way to experience more of Milford Sound on top of the water, but why stop there? Upgrade your day with a visit to the amazing Underwater Observatory. Get a truly immersive experience beneath the surface of Milford Sound for an unbeatable price.
Hidden under the surface in Harrison Cove is a unique and beautiful environment – there’s nowhere else in the world quite like it. Thanks to its unique underwater environment, Milford Sound is home to species of black coral usually only found at depths of more than 500 metres. In the middle of Piopiotahi Marine Reserve, the Underwater Observatory enables you to experience the magic of this special world.
Descend 64 steps (10 metres) underwater into a large, fully air conditioned viewing area where large windows with excellent optical clarity open your eyes to this deep underwater haven. Unlike an aquarium, the fish are free to come and go; it’s the people who are contained.
Why choose the Underwater Observatory?
- It is a unique opportunity to visit New Zealand’s only floating underwater observatory, accessible only by boat
- See rare black coral growing in its natural habitat and meet colourful sea creatures.
- Relax as our guide tells you more about the unique history, geology and wildlife of Milford Sound
- Learn about the story of Milford Sound and our conservation efforts with entertaining videos and easy to read information panels
- Visiting the Underwater Observatory adds up to an additional one hour to your cruise duration
Underwater Observatory Upgrade: Prices below include Underwater Observatory upgrade + delicious picnic lunch.